Thursday 17 May 2012

Fighting Self Justification - Part 2

So,  I have 2 jobs.....

I am a valuation surveyor at a private firm. I work ordinary hours and make up for whatever hours I miss out on... due to various other interests I have in the firm, I try to be super human..... I fail many times but I'd like to think I do my best when I do...

I am also an assistant lecturer at Makerere University, Uganda. I love to teach... but sometimes it takes so much of me.....

So, does that mean, that just because I have 2 jobs I have more money than I need?

Yes, I will not deny, the extra income comes in handy...... and sometimes I wonder what I would have done without it.....

Just because I have two jobs does not mean I have more money than I know what to do with.... It may simply mean I'm working too hard for peanuts..... hehehehe.... or I actually need the money because I have things to spend it on and one source of income wasnt covering it..... I mean if i had more than I knew what to do with, I'd sit back and think of ways to spend it... now who wouldnt want to do that????

Just because I have 2 jobs and you have one doesnt mean I have more money than you.... Your pay at your one job could be more or even double my pay at both jobs combined... I just have to work harder for it...

Just because I have 2 jobs doesnt mean I'm living a life of luxury, quite the contrary.....

On the other hand.......

There are people that have no jobs....

And I could change my spending habits.......

And I could try to do better than live within my means.....

I must say, sometimes I think the person that sang the song with the line, "the more money you have the more problems" must have known something the rest of us didnt.....

So, my final question to you......

Do you ever "ARRIVE"?

2 comments:

  1. This is another tough one .

    This below is just my personal opinion.

    I don't think you ever do arrive. I think you simply need to get to a point where you live within your means and be content .

    Somewhere in the bible Paul says that he has learnt to be content , both in times of plenty and in times of lacking .

    I think that as you work hard ro reach whatever goals you have, remember to always uphold the REAL ASSETS in life such as family and friends , never forgetting your relationship with God though that is not a tangible asset but it's in you .

    So, I definitely think that you will reach a point where you make a lot more than you do at the moment . However, at that moment, you will start to aim higher and you will want to make a lot more.
    One principle in economics that I remember is :
    Human needs are recurrent.

    In addition, the higher your status, the higher your level of spending. If you reach a certain level of earning, you are expected to live a certain way , etc..... So, you keep going higher and higher in success but that also comes with a higher level of expectation from yourself and also from those around you .

    So, my dear, do you ever arrive ?

    It depends on where you are going ..... Some places are unreachable, some are reachable. The most reachable place you have is actually NOW .

    So, my inexperienced opinion is aim higher but be content too in the now moment . I would like to point out that being content and being reluctant are two different things. So , your contentment should not border on reluctance to be better .

    Like I said, aim higher but be content in the NOW moment that you already ARRIVED AT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that is a nice way to look at it...... you keep arriving at different levels....

      Delete