Thursday 11 April 2013

Divorce?

Matthew 5:31-32

New International Version (NIV)

Divorce

31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’[a] 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Footnotes:

  1. Matthew 5:31 Deut. 24:1
When I read this my first instinct was to leave this to the marrieds.... as I am not yet in that category.... and at this rate might never be.... a fact that I am surprisingly starting to get really comfortable with.

On further thought I realised that a man should not any other grounds besides sexual immorality divorce his wife.... and this really got me thinking.... is it the same for women? How many men out there divorce their wives for lesser reasons... how many women stay in marriages even when they are aware of the sexual immorality going on? What are the boundaries that define sexual immorality?

I tried looking online for definitions of sexual immorality and that opened up a whole new can. Most definitions base it on social standards.... however these differ from one society to another!

In other words the grounds for divorce are shaky...... work it out......don't rush into marraige ...... and do not get divorced!

And you wonder why single life is starting to become more appealing to me! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment