Tuesday 18 June 2013

Foundations

Matthew 7:24-27

New International Version (NIV)

The Wise and Foolish Builders

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

I used to think this was all about those who have heard about Christ and know him.... sadly, its not..... its about actions and what backs up our actions.... on what do we base our actions and decisions? What use is it reading the word of God if all we do is read? we need to put into practice what we read...... but how easily we forget in the heat of the moment.... how quick to think, what will they say, what will they think, what is in it for me, how much is it worth or will it cost me?... and on and on.... and when things get tough (the storm) and it all falls apart around us, we wonder why.... we ask, why me God, we then remember to go back to him..... how do we expect not to be swept away by the storm if we base our lives, actions, decisions on things that change with the storm....

Who we are determines what we do.... what we think about.....

Who I'm I Lord? Help me define myself according to your will and live out your word...base my life on the only foundation that can with stand any storm that life brings my way.

2 comments:

  1. Your writing lately, mmmmh..speaks volumes..digging out those truths and putting them here is great, thanks El. I have been going through a tonne of events that I don't like so much then when I pause and think about it, I have been basing my life on changing people and things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully these volumes are musical and not empty tin noises ;) Not even sure I can say you are welcome or take the credit for it.... mmmhhhh! I can, however, say that I am extremely glad you feel that way. It hit me too....we base our lives on seasonal things and then wonder what we did wrong when the season changes! :(

      Delete