Tuesday 16 July 2013

Paintings

Matthew 8:5-13

English Standard Version (ESV)

The Faith of a Centurion

When he had entered Capernaum, a centurion came forward to him, appealing to him, “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, suffering terribly.” And he said to him, I will come and heal him. But the centurion replied, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof, but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I too am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my servant,[a]‘Do this,’ and he does it.” 10 When Jesus heard this, he marveled and said to those who followed him,Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel[b] have I found such faith. 11 I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, 12 while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” 13 And to the centurion Jesus said, Go; let it be done for you as you have believed. And the servant was healed at that very moment.

Footnotes:

  1. Matthew 8:9 Greek bondservant
  2. Matthew 8:10 Some manuscripts not even in Israel
He is not only willing, he is ready to go the extra mile for us! :) I took great comfort in that. Then the next bit challenged me, he does not have to go the extra mile...... made me think of painting a picture, are we limited by the size of the canvas or the image in our minds? How and where do we mark our boundaries and set our limitations? Do we understand the Lord's power and his authority? Are we painting too small on a large canvas or limiting the detail of our pictures to the size of the canvas? 

It is amazing the things we take for granted when we think we know it all or have it all or that it will always be there for us. ''He came to his own and his own did not accept him'' 

If you could paint a picture and have it happen exactly like you paint it, would you have any limitations? How would you determine them and what would they be?

Lord, teach me to believe and help me with my unbelief and disbelief. Help me see what I have before me, open my eyes, mind and heart that i may make the most it.

No comments:

Post a Comment