Wednesday 17 July 2013

Following

Matthew 8:18-22

New International Version (NIV)

The Cost of Following Jesus

18 When Jesus saw the crowd around him, he gave orders to cross to the other side of the lake.19 Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.”
20 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
21 Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
22 But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”


Following Christ is all about denying self and the physical desires of this world. Christ does not demand this of us......he just needs us to be aware of it what we are getting ourselves into when we do. Many times we are quick with our decisions and promises without fully understanding the implications and what is truly involved... The 'son of man' was not here to establish a physical kingdom..... he did not need that kind of following.... he needed people that were willing to just up and follow.... no physical benefits!



The next bit made me think about this post. Not only are we not supposed to worry about our tomorrows, we need to learn to leave our pasts behind as well. What is done is done is done. We need to learn to live in today and make the most of it.



Lord, teach me to leave my yesterdays in the past, meet my tomorrows tomorrow and live my todays according to your will, making the most of each one.....


No comments:

Post a Comment